Saturday, July 04, 2009

My first motorcycle escapade

Some of my friends already know about my recent act of indulgence. Yes, guilty! I bought a motorcycle. It has been a couple of months and I have been using it just to commute. That is quite strange in this part of the world, in case you are wondering.
Finally, yesterday I got a chance to take the beauty out on the hills for a spin, thanks my good friend and colleague, Peter.
Boy! was it fun!

In all, we covered more than 100 miles in a few hours through the winding roads up the Santa Cruz mountains. We left our office on the Hillview Ave in Palo Alto and rode up Page Mill road to highway 35, also called the Skyline Blvd. It took me about 20 minutes and a dozen sharp curves to get a hang of riding a cruiser bike on winding roads. Since I was doing quite okay, we decided to push it up a notch and took the Alpine road for some more tougher roads and came up to the intersection of highway 35 and highway 84. There is this small grocery store there where we got some coffee and refreshments. The Alice Restaurant there serves as a watering hole for all the motorcycle (and even scooter) enthusiasts riding on the Santa Cruz mountains. It was interesting to see a rather large riding group of scoooters, maybe about 50 scooters, riding down highway 35. We also saw a few nice looking cars, well, nice is not the right word, but I don't think I can adequately describe those beauties. There was a vintage Ford Mustant, a Corvette Sting Ray, a few Ferraris and Lotuses.

The weather Gods seemed to be pleased, and it was beautiful weather. The sight of the ocean, blue and gleaming under the Californian sun, filled me with an unexplicable joy. After spending some time on a couple of beaches, we headed back. Take a look at the map for the route details. I could not capture all the small winding roads we took, but managed to roughly map out the route. I could not stop to get a lot of pictures, wish I had. The madly winding roads with tall redwood trees rising high above on either sides, sunlight filtering in through their tall branches and the pristine air (except for the pollution bikers like me were causing) can make a poet out of a physicist. Well, I am not going to bore you with any of that.

Take a look at my bike, isn't she a beauty!






Here is the map of the route we took.

6 comments:

സായന്തനം said...

wow man! that's looks terrific..how much it costed to u? is it a HDvson?

Venki said...

It is a Yamaha V Star 650 cc.

Unknown said...

Man... You are too good...

Unknown said...

!!!! :O:O. da Venki!!!!
Whats happening? Lottery adicho?
But, really buddy... I appriciate... This is something I had in my mind and could not execute (I dont think I will either) Yamaha V Star... good... tell me more about it... You mentioned we... who are in this we?

Anonymous said...

Good buddy...and congrats for this "new" thing in your life...enjoy maadi....Stanly Benny

Unknown said...

650 CC!!! Awesome!
By the way, is it accidental or intentional that the bike has just one seat :) - Guna