Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dostana - a tale of friendship - redefined?

I saw the latest Hindi hit - Dostana, yesterday in San Jose.
It was a bit of a struggle to find parking at the theater, which never happened to me before. Then, I walked in to a packed movie hall, and to my dismay, found that the only seats remaining are scattered across the couple of front rows.

Obviously, all this was building up my expectations, but I should have known better.

I am not complaining about the movie in general, it was an entertainer. A mindless comedy about a couple of hunks pretending to be gays just to be able to rent couple of rooms in a fantastic apartment, owned by a sexy siren played by Priyanka Chopra. As I said, the story doesn't matter. It is full of clichés and convoluted schemes and grand displays of love and other emotions. Well, I expected as much from a Karan Johar movie!

It was a good movie, nonetheless. I had a good two and a half hours, lots of laugh, some great locations, two hot babes, can't ask for more.

The only complaint I have is the way the topic of homosexuality was treated. It is a very sensitive topic, and quite a new one too for the Indian society. To make a complete joke of it, and to portray it in such bad light, to use such wrong and stereotypical representations of homosexual characters throughout the movie is, in my view, unfortunate and unforgivable.

I understand that it was meant to be a funny movie, but couldn't the script writer, the director or producer have spent at least 5 minutes, or 1 short scene, or a few dialogs to separate reality from fiction, and to spread the word on the importance of the issue. It might be in the interest of the movie to show all gay characters as being dressed in bright colored dresses, flapping their arms and behaving effeminate. But, is it too much to expect that a movie entirely based on gay jokes and characters will also clarify at some point that the truth is far far away from it, and urge the audience to treat the subject and the people with a little more sensitivity?

No comments: